The live show by Ed Byrne has been going through the roof. He recently completed a massive 80 date comedy tour which has left promoters and venue managers stunned by the response. Apparently they ‘have never seen anything like this before’.
lzzard & Byrne
Not surprising then at Aspen Comedy Festival (US Comedy Arts Festival); the only UK comedians invited to perform were Eddie lzzard and Ed. By the end of the Edinburgh Festival of the same year; the Fringe Box Office announced that Ed was their largest selling show! Edinburgh Festival saw Ed perform a shorter run of 10 days but in the biggest venue – The Assembly Room, Music Hall. Ed again had another sell out run on his hands.
Over the past few years Ed Byrne has developed phenomenal success on the international circuit; where he has performed to capacity audiences in Montreal (Just for Laughs) Dublin, Paris, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne and New Zealand. Again response was such that at both the Melbourne and New Zealand festivals extra shows had to be added. Ensuring that once again Ed was the largest selling act at the festivals.
Ed Byrne has appeared on many TV and radio shows and in major feature films… and:
- Sell out shows at Dublin’s Gaiety and Olympia theatres
- A Perrier Award nomination for A Night at the Opera, 1998
- Two weeks at the New Ambassadors in London’s West End
- Playing the lead in Brian Mc Avera’s King of the Road in Edinburgh, Greenwich, Dublin, and Winchester
- Being the biggest selling comedy show of the year at the 2006 Edinburgh Fringe with Standing Up and Falling Down
- Recording his three DVDs: Pedantic and Whimsical (2006), Different Class (2009), and Crowd Pleaser (2011)
Ed Byrne TV & Radio
- Mock the Week (BBC)
- The Sean Moncrieff Show (RTE)
- Funny Business (Channel X/ITV)
- Stand Up Show (BBC,series 2, 3 & 4)
- The Comedy Network (Avalon TV/CH5)
- The Live 6 Show (Action Time/B Sky B)
- Good Stuff (Carlton x 3)
- Space Cadets (Wark Clements/CH4)
- @Last TV (RTE)
- Call My Bluff (BBC)
- ‘Hot’ Music Awards Special (presenter/MTV)
- Don’t Feed The Gondolas (RTE)
- Father Ted Christmas Special
- The Entertainment Biz (FFP/BBC)
- Comedy Spotlight (Comcast, USA)
- The Jack Docherty Show (Absolutely Productions)
- Bring Me The Head Of Light Entertainment (presenter/MTV)
- Vinyl Tap (FreeformFilms/presenter/music/CH4)
- Edinburgh Nights (BBC Scotland/BBC)
- The Green Green Grass Of Home,The Take (presenter/BBC Choice)
- Net.Comedy (Action Time/On Digital)
- Stop The World (BBC Choice)
- Loafers (BBC North/BBC Choice)
- The Comedy Game (Celador/ITV2)
- Des O’Connor Tonight (x 2 ITV)
- Edinburgh Nights Comedy Special (BBC)
- Jesus Green (sitcom pilot/Absolutely Productions)
- Sunday Nights At The Palladium (ITV)
- Royal Variety Performance (ITV)
- British Comedy Awards (ITV)
Ed has also been involved in factual TV work, including an appearance in the second episode of Three Men Go to Scotland, several segments of the BBC’s Volcano Live, a segment on the BBC’s Science Club and an episode of the BBC’s Dangerous Roads, which saw Ed and Andy Parsons drive across some of the world’s coldest inhabited places in the name of entertainment.
Ed Byrne would say his TV highlights were:
- Doing a walk and talk with Martin Sheen on The Graham Norton Show
- Winning All Star Family Fortunes
- Hosting four seasons of Ed Byrne’s Just for Laughs on RTE
- Appearing as co lead in the sitcom Sam’s Game with Davina McCall
- Being part of the ensemble cast of Reunited for the BBC
Other people, however, would tell you he was best known for…
- ITV’s Christmas panto, Aladdin, an integral part of Christmas for some
- Eight years as the voice over on the Carphone Warehouse ads
- His breakthrough role as “teenager” on the Father Ted Christmas special – A Christmassy Ted
- Getting a pie in the face from Robert Downey Jr on The Graham Norton Show
Ed has also been in several films, including; Round Ireland With A Fridge, Rat, Are You Ready For Love and Zemanovaload.
Ed Byrne Corporate Comedy
On top of all this Ed regularly performs stand up comedy and award presentation for a variety of corporate clients and has hosted numerous events such as; The Meteor Music Awards, The UK Broker Awards and The Recruiter Awards. Ed is also well known as being the voice of Carphone Warehouse on both their TV and radio commercials.
Book Ed Byrne Today
Matthew Willetts MA is the Director of Comicus who has over 35 years experience in television, film, theatre, and comedy club/cabaret entertainment, working as a performer, screenwriter, producer and agent. He lectured at Southampton Solent University in Comedy, Screenwriting, Television, Theatre & Radio. Matthew can sometimes be seen and heard on TV & Radio and often quoted in the national press and media publications. As well as speaking regularly at festivals and industry conferences, he has been a judge at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and the Montreux Television Festival.
Some reviews ofEd Byrne
Jersey Funds Association
Feedback has been 100% positive. He met our objectives perfectly, his energy kept people engaged throughout and he absolutely nailed the level of banter the audience would take.
PAM Insight Ltd
Some are saying this was the best JFA event so far. Ed was very easy to work with and quite happy to go with whatever we wanted which is great from an event organisers point of view as it makes the evening a whole lot easier.
Ed excelled himself. He had the 430 guests in stitches and capped a super evening. His references/experiences to TRAVEL were excellent. His male/female references to marriage good, but could have made a very few uneasy. Rest of his patter and run through the Awards categories were great. As Jeremy said ‘ A safe pair of hands’.Very easy to get on with.