Ed Byrne’s live shows have been going through the roof. He recently completed a massive 80 date tour which has left promoters and venue managers stunned by the response. Apparently they ‘have never seen anything like this before’.
Not surprising then at Aspen Comedy Festival (US Comedy Arts Festival) the only UK comedians invited to perform were Eddie lzzard and Ed Byrne. By the end of the Edinburgh Festival of the same year the Fringe Box Office announced that Ed Byrne was their largest selling show! This year’s Edinburgh Festival saw Ed perform a shorter run of 10 days but in the biggest venue – The Assembly Room, Music Hall. Ed again had another sell-out run on his hands.
Over the past few years Ed has developed phenomenal success on the international circuit where he has performed to capacity audiences in Montreal (Just for Laughs) Dublin, Paris, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne and New Zealand. Again response was such that at both the Melbourne and New Zealand festivals extra shows had to be added ensuring that once again Ed was the largest selling act at the festivals. Ed Byrne has appeared on numerous TV and radio shows and in several major feature films, including Rat (Universal films).
- * Sell-out appearances at Dublin’s Gaiety and Olympia theatres
- * A Perrier Award nomination for A Night at the Opera, 1998
- * Two weeks at the New Ambassadors in London’s West End
- * Playing the lead in Brian McAvera’s King of the Road in Edinburgh, Greenwich, Dublin, and Winchester
- * Being the biggest selling comedy show of the year at the 2006 Edinburgh Fringe with Standing Up and Falling Down
- * Recording his three DVDs: Pedantic and Whimsical (2006), Different Class (2009), and Crowd Pleaser (2011)
On top of all this Ed regularly performs stand up and award presentation for an enormous variety of corporate clients and has hosted numerous events such as; The Meteor Music Awards, The UK Broker Awards, The Recruiter Awards. Ed is also well known as being the voice of The Carphone Warehouse on both their TV and radio commercials.
Some of Ed’s many Television & Radio
Mock the Week (BBC),The Sean Moncrieff Show (RTE), Funny Business (Channel X/ITV), Stand Up Show, (BBC,series 2, 3 & 4), The Comedy Network (Avalon TV/CH5), The Live 6 Show (Action Time/B Sky B), Good Stuff (Carlton x 3), Space Cadets (Wark Clements/CH4),@Last TV (RTE), Call My Bluff (BBC), ‘ Hot’ Music Awards Special (presenter/MTV),Don’t Feed The Gondolas (RTE), Father Ted Christmas Special The Entertainment Biz (FFP/BBC), Comedy Spotlight (Comcast, USA), The Jack Docherty Show (Absolutely Productions), Bring Me The Head Of Light Entertainment (presenter/MTV),VinylTap(FreeformFilms/presenter/music/CH4), Edinburgh Nights (BBC Scotland/BBC), The Green Green Grass Of Home,The Take (presenter/BBC Choice), Net.Comedy (Action Time/On Digital), Stop The World (BBC Choice), Loafers (BBC North/BBC Choice),The Comedy Game (Celador/ITV2), Des O’Connor Tonight (x 2 ITV), Edinburgh Nights Comedy Special (BBC), Jesus Green (sitcom pilot/Absolutely Productions),Sunday Nights At The Palladium (ITV),Royal Variety Performance (ITV), British Comedy Awards (ITV)
Recently Ed has been involved in more factual television work, including an appearance in the second episode of Three Men Go to Scotland, several segments of the BBC’s Volcano Live, a segment on the BBC’s Science Club and an episode of the BBC’s Dangerous Roads, which saw Ed and Andy Parsons drive across some of the world’s coldest inhabited places in the name of entertainment.
Ed would say his television highlights were:
- Doing a walk-and-talk with Martin Sheen on The Graham Norton Show
- Winning All-Star Family Fortunes
- Hosting four seasons of Ed Byrne’s Just for Laughs on RTE
- Appearing as co-lead in the sitcom Sam’s Game with Davina McCall
- Being part of the ensemble cast of Reunited for the BBC
Other people, however, would tell you he was best known for…
- ITV’s Christmas panto, Aladdin, an integral part of Christmas for some
- Eight years as the voiceover on the Carphone Warehouse ads
- His breakthrough role as “teenager” on the Father Ted Christmas special. A Christmassy Ted
- Getting a pie in the face from Robert Downey Jr. on The Graham Norton Show
Ed has also been in several films, including Round Ireland With A Fridge, Rat, Are You Ready For Love and Zemanovaload. Book Ed Byrne today!