Jonathan Pearce is a sports broadcaster and commentator. He started his career at BBC Radio Bristol in 1979. His first match commentary was Bristol Rovers against Exeter City in the League Cup; and he became sports editor at the age of 23 at Radio West.
Jonathan became a commentator on Match of the Day during the 2004/05 season; following three years at BBC Radio 5 Live. In 1987 he moved to London and Capital Radio, where he launched Capital Gold Sport a year later. Jonathan has won several awards for his work; including three Sony awards and the Variety Club Radio Person of the Year.
Jonathan Pearce has commentated on more than 150 England internationals, four World Cups, five European Championships and more than 20 Cup Finals.
Born in 1959 in Plymouth, Jonathan Pearce moved to Bristol at the age of seven. He is still a Bristol City FC fan; but his wife and three small children are Arsenal, Brighton and Crystal Palace fans. Jonathan enjoys all sport especially football. He trained with Bristol City as a teenager; but failed to make the grade as a hopeful player, after breaking a leg in 1974. Jonathan Pearce studied English at Birmingham University and at the National Broadcasting School. He now lives in West Sussex.
In May 2002, Jonathan Pearce left Capital Gold sport after 15 years to join BBC Radio 5 Live. In August 2003 he became the presenter of 5 Lives weekday show Sport on Five. Jonathan joined the Match of the Day commentating team in August 2004; and writes a regular, weekly sports column for the Sunday Mirror. 2004-present MATCH OF THE DAY – Commentator.
- 2002-2005 BBC RADIO 5 LIVE – Commentator, presenter (‘Sport on Five’, ‘606’ domestic and international football).
- 2002-2003- BBC LONDON 94.9fm – Host of Friday football preview show.
- 2001-2004 CHANNEL 5 Jonathan Pearce’s Football Night.
- 1997-2004 CHANNEL 5 – Football Commentator (domestic and international).
- 1997-2003 BBC & FiveMentorn Robot Wars. Commentator and voice over.
- 1997 – LWT – Up for the Cup.
- 1996 – GRANADA TALK TV – Sports Talk.
- 1991 – SKY TV – Freelance reporter Commentator Presenter The Footballers Football Show, JPs SPs.
- 1987-2002- CAPITAL RADIO – Sports EditorCommentator Sportstime ‘Glory Days’, ‘One to One’ and documentaries.
- 1986-1987 – BBC RADIO 2 LOCAL RADIO NETWORK, London.
- 1984-1986 – RADIO WESTGWR, BRISTOL – Sports Editor.
- 1984 – SOUTHERN SOUND RADIO – Sports Editor.
- 1983-1984 – RADIO WEST, BRISTOL – Sports Editor.
- 1980-1983 – BBC RADIO BRISTOL – Freelance football reporter.
- NATIONAL BROADCASTING SCHOOL (Awarded the annual scholarship for an intensive post graduate journalism and broadcasting course).
Jonathan Pearce Journalism
- 2002-present SUNDAY MIRROR – Jonathan Pearce Sport Column.Awards
- 2001 SONY RADIO AWARDS NOMINATION Best Sports Coverage (Capital)
- 1996 SONY RADIO AWARDS Best Sports Commentator
- 1993 NEW YORK RADIO FESTIVAL BRONZE MEDAL Best Sports Programme
- 1992 SONY RADIO AWARD Best Sports Programme Of The Year
- NEW YORK RADIO FESTIVAL GOLD MEDAL Best Sports Commentary
- 1991 NEW YORK RADIO FESTIVAL SILVER MEDAL Best Sports Commentary
- 1990 SONY RADIO AWARDS Best Sports Programme Of The Year
- NEW YORK RADIO FESTIVAL GOLD MEDALS
- BEST SPORTS COMMENTARY
- BEST SPORTS MAGAZINE PROGRAMME
- 1989 SONY RADIO AWARDS Best Sports Programme Nomination
Jonathan’s other work has included voice overs for various video productions, radio and TV ads and tv shows including; BT Cellnet, Heineken, The Sun, Tennents Pilsner, Daily Telegraph, Carling, Sugar Puffs, Snickers, Fuji, Trivial Pursuit, Coca Cola, Sony Playstation, Nutella, Cadburys, JJB Sports and Footballers’ Wives.