Gary Lineker is one of the best known football players in the world. His achievements, combined with his ability to communicate well and his presenting skills; have made him immensely popular as a motivational speaker and as a host.
Gary Lineker: Football Player
During his playing career, Gary Lineker was one of the best known and widely admired soccer players in the world. His goal strike rate for his country places him second on the all-time list behind Bobby Charlton. Gary is also an accomplished cricketer (MCC), golfer and snooker player.
Gary In Retirement
Since retiring from competition in 1992, Gary has focused on his media career. He has presented Football Focus and Match of the Day since 1995. In addition he was a reporter at the Atlanta Olympics, The Masters Golf; and he presents the acclaimed Golden Boot series. Gary is instantly recognised for his former role as team captain; in the enormously popular quiz show “They Think It’s All Over”, opposite David Gower. He is also the face of the extremely successful advertising campaign for Walkers Crisps.
Gary Lineker: Career Highlights
His career achievements, combined with his ability to communicate effectively at all levels; have made Gary an immensely popular motivational speaker. His presenting skills make him an ideal choice to host and link events.
- PFA Footballer of the Year (1986)
- Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year (1986 and 1992)
- World Cup top goal scorer – Golden Boot (1986 in Mexico)
- Runner-up European Footballer Year (1986)
- FIFA Fair Play Award (1990) OBE 1992
- Hon MA Loughborough University (1992)
- Hon MA Leicester University (1992)
- TRIC Awards Sports presenter/reporter of the year (2003)