Bob Mills has been an established figure on the national comedy scene for over 25 years. He gained a strong reputation for his ability for quick banter and come backs with an audience. He first burst on to the London comedy scene in 1985, turning the faltering “alternative” establishment on its head; with his unique and challenging brand of laddish irreverent stand up comedy.
Over the next ten years he established himself as one of the most successful live acts in the country, as well as putting together a string of acclaimed TV and radio credits.
Bob left school early to join the merchant navy; but quit, just nine days into his training. He drifted around London for a while, working valet in King’s Cross, until he discovered the alternative comedy scene; paying £1 to see Mark Thomas and Mark Steel, at the Market Tavern in Islington in 1983. Two years later he started on the London scene himself. He quickly became one of the most respected Comedy comperes on the circuit, as well as being a quick witted comic in his own right.
His performances as host of ITV’s flagship daytime game show ‘Win Lose Or Draw’, treading the fine line between pensioners favourite and students cult hero; and his weird and wonderful late night ‘In Bed With Medinner’, are still remembered fondly wherever intelligent TV fans meet.
Bob Mills also hosted ‘There’s Only One Brian Moore’ and ‘Dial Midnight’ for LWT, ‘Not A Lot Of People Know That’ for BBC1; as well as over 200 shows for VH1, including major documentary and interviews with Eric Clapton, Phil Collins and Cher. He also appeared on the weakest link comedian’s special.
In 1995 he starred in what he regards as his finest work to date, C4’s ‘The Show’. These eight one hour programmes featuring fly-on-the-wall film of the making of a real chat show; widely regarded as the template for much of the reality TV, that continues to dominate the schedules today.
TV & Radio
A Leyton Orient fan, Bob is a regular guest on Talksport Radio; as well as presenting his own shows on BBC London and often covers for Danny Baker. He’s also a popular guest on ‘Fighting Talk’ (BBC radio 5) and loose ends (BBC radio 4).
Since 1996 Bob Mills has combined his TV, radio and live performances; with his role as writer and producer. He was responsible for two series of ITV’s award winning, critically acclaimed ‘Bob Martin’; giving Michael Barrymore his acting debut. On his debut as a film producer, he helped Julie Walters to a best actress BAFTA, in ‘My Beautiful Son’. Also receiving his own coveted nomination from the academy.
Bob Mills co-wrote and produced ‘Stan The Man’ (which starred John Thomson & Gaynor Faye), the six part comedy drama ‘Northern Lights’ which starred Mark Benton and Robson Green; as well as an episode of Shameless and the feature length film ‘Pierrepoint’, that starred Timothy Spall & Juliet Stevenson and premiered in 2006.
- 1992/99 In Bed With Medinner, ITV (6 Series). Written & Presented by Bob.
- 1993/95 Games World, Sky TV (3 Series)
- 1993/98 VH1. Presenter. Daily Shows
- Presented ‘The Vinyl Years’, ‘Look Back in Angora’ and ‘Mills And Tunes Daily’. Plus In Depth Documentary Features With Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Cher, Van Morrison and a Host Of Others. Covered Q Awards For Station For Five Years.
- 1994/95 Goals On Sunday, Sky TV, Co-Presenter (2 Series)
- 1994/96 Win Lose Or Draw, ITV, (3 Series)
- 1995. Not A Lot Of People Know That, BBC 1 (1 Series)
- 1995 The Show, Channel 5 (8 X 60 Min Series)
- 1998/99. Taking The Pitch. ITV 2, (2 Series)
- 1999/2001 Don’t Mention The Score, ITV 2 (2 Series)
- Never Mind The Buzzcocks, BBC 2
- Have I Got News For You, BBC 2
- They Think Its All Over, BBC 1
- Celebrity Squares, ITV
- Richard And Judy (X 2), Channel 4
- Big Breakfast (X 2), Channel 4
- The Jack Docherty Show (X 4) Channel 4
- Big Brothers Little Brother, Channel 4 (2006/07)
- The Weakest Link-Comedians Special, BBC 1, 2007
- Call My Bluff’ (X 4) BBC
- Chritian O’Conell’s World Cup Special, ITV
- Johnny Vaughan Show, BBC
- Nick Hancock’s Boom-Bang-A-Bang, UK Gold
- 1999/2003 GLR Sunday Night Show (Presented Own Show)
- A Mix Of Music, Chat And Competitions.
- 2004 BBC London 94.9 Saturday Morning Show (Presented Own Show)
- A Mix Of Music, Chat And Phone-In.
- Since 1999 Has Been Regular Presenter Standing In For Danny Baker On BBC London
- Fighting Talk, BBC Radio 5 (Regular Guest 2006 & 2007)
- Loose Ends, BBC Radio 4 (Regular Guest)
- Phones-4-You National Conference. Birmingham Metropole.
- Society Of Independent Property Agents Annual Dinner. Park Lane Hotel.
- Neopost Annual Conference. Birmingham Metropole.
- British Greeting Card Industry Awards. Savoy Hotel.
- National Recycling Awards. Bournemouth International; Centre.
- British Homeware Awards. Royal Lancaster Hotel.
- National Cooling Awards. Royal Lancaster Hotel.
- Sharp Edge Awards. Quaglinos.
- Bullion Dealers Annual Dinner. London.
- N-Power Comic Relief Tour.
- Lighting Design Awards. London Hilton.
- National Exhibition Awards. Hackney Empire.
- Plastics Industry Awards. London Hilton.
- Island Cruises Launch Party. London.
- London Congestion Charge
- Series Of Six Witty, Informative TV Adverts To Introduce The Scheme, With Accompanying Radio Campaign.
- Black Grape Album Launch
- Mars Regional Competition
So Book Bob Mills today!
Matthew Willetts MA is the Director of Comicus who has over 35 years experience in television, film, theatre, and comedy club/cabaret entertainment, working as a performer, screenwriter, producer and agent. He lectured at Southampton Solent University in Comedy, Screenwriting, Television, Theatre & Radio. Matthew can sometimes be seen and heard on TV & Radio and often quoted in the national press and media publications. As well as speaking regularly at festivals and industry conferences, he has been a judge at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and the Montreux Television Festival.
Some reviews ofBob Mills
Thomas Cooper Law
He was tremendous! Incredibly funny and on point, the guests were actually banging on the table with hysterical laughter he totally drew the crowd in. Everyone without exception was absolutely cracking up! The raucous applause he received at the end was a true reflection of how he was received. – Bob was instrumental in making the evening memorable and a HUGE success.
The Welsh Guards
Bob Mills was fantastic. I hope he had just as good time as the Welsh Guards mess members did that evening. Thank you so much for all your help and pass on our utmost gratitude to Bob for the excellent evening’s entertainment.
NFU Mutual Dinner
His after dinner speech went down a storm – the room was full of laughter and smiling faces. Just great!