Baroness Michelle Mone (Lady Mone) is renowned as one of the UK’s most influential women in business. The multi award winning Entrepreneur turned Parliamentarian, is now Start Up Business Tsar to the British Government; and advocate for female equality in business.
Founder of Ultimo Brands International, the UK’s leading lingerie brand for the last two decades. She set out with a vision of helping women look and feel at their very best. It was on that simple concept Lady Mone built her career and influence; therefore being given a Life Peerage to the House of Lords and an OBE for her contribution to business.
East End Beginning
The Baroness grew up in the impoverished East End of Glasgow. When Michelle Mone was aged just fifteen, her father fell ill, he was declared paraplegic and became wheelchair bound for life. This forced Lady Mone to leave school without any qualifications; in search of full time employment, sparking her instinct for entrepreneurship.
At the age of just 22, Lady Mone excelled herself to Head of Sales and Marketing in Scotland for the Glasgow based Labatt’s Brewers. Unfortunately, being made redundant after two short years.
In 1996, after only six weeks out of work; Lady Mone was at a dinner dance, wearing a very uncomfortable cleavage enhancing bra. It was here the Baroness had an epiphany about what the lingerie industry was missing; and the world famous Ultimo bra was born.
In Bras We Trust
After the launch of Ultimo, Lady Mone soon established herself as one of Scotland’s finest exports. Winning the World Young Business Achiever Award in 2000 at the Epcot Centre in Florida; as well as Business Woman of the Year at the Corporate Elite Awards in London. Lady Mone’s status as one of the UK’s leading entrepreneurs was confirmed soon after, when Prince Charles invited her to join the board of Directors for The Prince’s Trust.
In October 2005, Lady Mone attended a speaking event with Bill Clinton and Mikhail Gorbachev. Leading to her to set up the Women’s Enterprise Project in the Middle East, supported by The Sultan of Oman. It was then she began to realise that her experiences and wisdom; could transform lives and inspire others in the face of adversity.
Despite facing a challenging few years in her private life, suffering an acrimonious divorce and battle to retain her business. Lady Mone is now one of the UK’s most notable global speakers.
The Baroness has inspired, coached and mentored audiences and individuals in over 50 countries; over the last two decades. Because of this Michelle was given a Life Peerage in 2015, then she was asked by the Prime Minister (David Cameron) and the former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (Iain Duncan Smith) to conduct The Mone Review; an insight into helping start up businesses in deprived areas.
The proud and loving mother to Rebecca, Declan and Bethany; has now sold the brand Ultimo to global lingerie giants MAS Holdings. One of the world’s largest makers of intimates, with a $1.4 billion turnover and 63,000 employees around the world.
A truly inspiring story and therefore, Baroness Michelle Mone has now revealed all of her struggles and successes, in her autobiography: “My Fight to the Top”, which has ranked at number one in three Amazon charts. In 2017 Michelle launched her latest venture, Michelle Mone Interiors.
Michelle’s TV appearances have included; Pointless Celebrities, BBC Comic Relief Does The Apprentice, BBC The Apprentice: You’re Fired, ITV 71 Degrees North and Surprise Surprise. Michelle also appeared alongside Prime Minister David Cameron, on the panel for ITV’s The Agenda.
Michelle’s profile is ever increasing both in the UK and worldwide; as she continues to be an international public speaking inspiration. Prestigious speaking engagements include her appearing alongside Chuck Hagel in a tour of South Korea.
At A Glance:
- Joined the Board of Directors for The Prince’s Scottish Youth Business Trust in 2001; and more recently Board of Main Council.
- ‘Best Newcomer’ at the British Apparel Export Awards 2001, presented by HRH Princess Royal.
- Awarded an Honorary Doctorate degree by Paisley University in Nov 2002.
- Management Today voted Michelle one of top 3 female entrepreneurs in the UK; besides Martha Lane Fox and Stella McCartney.
- Speaking with former US president Bill Clinton and Mikhail Gorbachev in 2005, going on to support the Sultan of Oman with a women’s project in the Middle East.
- Michelle was awarded an OBE by the Queen, for her contribution to business in January 2010.
- Awarded an Honorary Doctorate degree by the University of Hertfordshire in 2010.
- Glamour Magazine voted Michelle the UK’s No.1 woman in business in January 2010.
- Prime Minister David Cameron asked Michelle to lead the “Better Together Campaign” during the Scottish referendum.
- Success Fastline saw Michelle as one of their Women on Top: Inspiring Female Entrepreneurs, besides Oprah Winfrey in 2015.
- In Spring 2015, Michelle released her Number 1 Best Selling Autobiography.
- At the request of Conservative Party Chairman, Lord Feldman, fronted the media campaign through the 2015 General Election.
- On 27 August 2015, Downing Street announced her peerage and she entered the House of Lords in Oct 2015.
- In 2015, lead a government review into entrepreneurship and small business, focusing on setting up small business in deprived areas, under Work and Pensions Secretary Ian Duncan Smith.
- Michelle was awarded the Lifetime Achievement at the HSBC 2015 National Women in Business Awards.
- 2017 Michelle launched her latest business venture, Michelle Mone Interiors.
So Book Baroness Michelle Mone Today!
Matthew Willetts MA is the Director of Comicus who has over 35 years experience in television, film, theatre, and comedy club/cabaret entertainment, working as a performer, screenwriter, producer and agent. He lectured at Southampton Solent University in Comedy, Screenwriting, Television, Theatre & Radio. Matthew can sometimes be seen and heard on TV & Radio and often quoted in the national press and media publications. As well as speaking regularly at festivals and industry conferences, he has been a judge at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and the Montreux Television Festival.
Some reviews of Michelle Mone
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.